Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, March 12, 2012

MMHL -Tip #8 Lets talk air fresheners


Tip #8 Switch out air fresheners.
Living with two men (one man and one man/boy), two dogs, and a cat -I love me some air fresheners but when I found out that some contain cancer causing toxins I started to research. 
According to Time Health, air fresheners may not be the saviors of smell that we think they are.
A study conducted last year by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) tested 14 air freshener brands that were found on a shelf in Walgreens.
Out of these, 12 of the fresheners contained substantial amounts of the chemical phthalates, which if taken in large amounts can cause liver and testesdamage, as well as birth defects.
Another study conducted by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) found that air fresheners contain a volatile organic compound (VOC) called 1,4 dichlorobenzene (1,4 DCB).
Volatile organic compounds cause soil, groundwater and air pollution, and 1,4 dichlorobenzene was determined to be a carcinogen. And carcinogens cause cancer.
Also, extended periods of exposure to this compound can damage your lungs, and can be especially dangerous for people who have asthma.
With a family history of cancer I don't need to take any chances so I threw out all air fresheners and walked ran to the nearest retailer to find a comparable replacement.
 Not an expert by any means but from the articles I have read I came up with this list of suitable products. 
   J.R.Watkins Room freshener spray
 Pure Arye room and fabric freshener. 
This product can even be used on your skin and your dogs!
All the plug in type fresheners will remain in the trash.
So what can you do?
  • Get rid of the odor causing culprit.
  • Let fresh air in
  • Use vinegar to neutralize bad odors
  • Bee wax candles with cotton wicks purifies air
  • Essential oils used around the home in dishes, cotton balls, warmers freshen air
  • Indoor plants help purify air
For more information check out the links below:

5 comments:

  1. That is so interesting. I am totally going to look into it and I love your tip on plants. I need to get a few more this spring:) Muah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what goes into an airfreshener! I tend to just open all the windows a little every day, make sure I have incense or those perfume diffusers in the home. A wedge of lemon/bicarb soda goes in the fridge to de-odourize odd whiffs!

    Great alternative suggestions!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the perfume diffusers can have toxins that we breath in. I have put vinegar in a small plastic dish with a few drops of essential oils in the bathroom and so far don't smell the Boys :)haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been unaware of these toxins. I thought we were just cheapskates to rely on vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really scary! I love lighting candles and usually keep the fan on so hope that those help keep the air fresh!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.