Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, March 26, 2012

MMHL Tip #17- Coconut Oil lotion

Tip #17- How to make lotion.


Finding natural products for the month of March has been a challenge and a big eye opener. Who knew there were so many inexpensive and healthier ways to take care of your skin? I was always under the impression that oils would make me break out or feel greasy all day until I started trying them. Shopping at Trader Joes this weekend I came across Coconut oil for $5.99 so I thought I would give it a try. I applied it to my body after my shower and instantly fell in love. Slimy at first but then my skin just soaked it in leaving me smooth and soft with a slight tropical scent. My hubby could not stop touching my skin! The only downfall was that it was a bit tricky to apply so I thought why not make a lotion out of it......I found this on eHow and I can't wait to give it a try. (I'll be making this tonight and will let you know how it turns out.)

How to Make Lotion From Coconut Oilthumbnail






Things You'll Need:

 1/4 Cup Distilled water 

3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 

2 Tbsp beeswax, either grated or in pellets 

1 tsp essential oil, such as lavender or rose 

1/2 Cup Aloe Vera Gel 

Instructions 

1 MELT YOUR BEESWAX This first step is to melt the beeswax. Skin care products with beeswax as a main ingredient are much more nourishing to the skin. You will want to melt beeswax in a double boiler over medium heat. First, place your beeswax, either grated or in pellets, in a small pot. Place the small pot inside a medium pot filled about half way up with water. Gradually heat the beeswax over medium heat until it is just melted. then, remove the small pot from the heat source. 

 2 COMBINE THE OIL WITH THE WAX Next, you will want to combine your oil with your wax. The oil you will be using should be Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. This is the best coconut oil available, and will make your lotion rich and creamy. You can find Extra Virgin Coconut Oil at any health food store or natural foods market. Add the coconut oil into the same pot that contains your melted beeswax, and stir until the coconut oil has melted and is combined with the beeswax. Set this aside. 

3 HEAT YOUR WATER In another pot, heat the distilled water until it is around the same temperature as the oil and wax. You can test this by using a candy thermometer. Once the ingredients are at the same temperature, you are ready to blend them together. 

 4 BLEND INTO LOTION Pour your oil an wax mixture, along with your distilled water, into a blender. Blend on low for abut 1 minute. Gradually pour in the Aloe Vera and the essential oil you have chosen, and blend on high for around 2 minutes. You will be amazed at the results! Your handmade coconut oil lotion will be creamy and thick...just like a professional lotion! 

5 HANDMADE COCONUT LOTION FOR EVERYONE! Now that you have successfully created your own coconut oil lotion, you will want to share it with your friends and family. Fill small glass containers or bottles with your lotion to give as gifts. Your handmade coconut lotion will make a great gift for any occasion. Grandmothers especially love the soothing qualities of the coconut oil, and will love to use it knowing that you made it yourself! Read more: How to Make Lotion From Coconut Oil | eHow.com



4 comments:

  1. Sounds great- Now on my list of things to try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just finished making my batch of coconut oil lotion and think I made a few mistakes.
    1. I had to remelt the bees wax because I didn't have the coconut oil ready. (they say this makes it grainy)
    2. I used Borax to act as a natural preservative.

    My lotion came out grainy so I am not sure if it was the borax or the re melting of the wax. The consistency was perfect with a slight scent of the tropics. I added grapefruit and ylang ylang oil to make it even more tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd attempt to make the lotion....

    DO NOT USE BORAX. Makes it too thick even if you add extra oil and water. It always turns out so smooth right after you make it but thickens as it cools. It is now like a butter rather than a lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3rd batch and still can't seem to get it right. will try with wax not beeswax next.

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.