Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, March 19, 2012

MMHL Tip #13 - DIY non toxic soap

Tip #13 A DIY
 Lately I have been purchasing bar soap, easier on the pocket book and non toxic, natural ingredient soaps are easy to find. The only draw back to bar soap is that I am a liquid soap kind of gal. Natural body soaps are expensive and to be honest I have a hard time spending $13.00 on a 12 oz jug of soap when I can buy a bar for $1.29. So why not make it myself? We'll that is exactly what I asked myself. After a few trial and errors I have come up with a perfect formula. 

I start with a Sonoma all natural bar soap I purchased for $1.29, A bit of vegetable glycerin, natural oils, and natural essential oils. All the ingredients can be found at your local health store. Of course you don't really need to add anything if using this brand of soap but if using a castile soap you'll need to add glycerin to thicken.
Choose a scent you like that will blend well with the essential oils you want to add. 

Chop or grate the soap into small pieces. The smaller the faster you'll be done.
Boil 6 cups of water in a pan. Once the pot boils take it off the heat and add the soap pieces. 
Stir occasionally letting all the soap dissolve into the water.
Once the mixture cools a bit you can add any oils you desire as well as the 1 oz of glycerin (if needed)
When the mixture cools completely it will begin to thicken to a gel. I suggest leaving it overnight. If your mixture has not gelled by morning try adding glycerin. Keep in mind that if you used a castile soap it will be more water like. 
At this time I blend it with another 8-12 cups of water. The easiest way for me was to take a scoop of the soap mixture and put it into this pink plastic container and add water then blend with my handheld mixer. That way I got the consistency I wanted before storing it away.

The mixture came out to be a creamy snot like consistency but I assure you once it is in the pump dispenser no one will know. 

This one $1.29 bar of soap made 2 gallons of liquid body soap. With the added almond oil and grapefruit essential oils I have a very moisturizing, mood enlightening body soap for a fraction of the cost.

Alright... that's all there is to it and it even got the hubby's seal of approval. 

Ingredients:
1 bar of soap
1 oz of liquid glycerin
6 cups of water plus 8-12 more 
15 drops of essential oils (optional)
2 tablespoons of a carrier oil (optional)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is genius! Great post Bella!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.