Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Secret Escape - Belgrade, Serbia


I am completely hooked on House Hunter's International. If you've never seen the show it is basically a quick look into moving internationally. Some families have millions to spend while others only have enough to rent. I think my hubby and I are so drawn to it because most of the families moving are starting new lives, learning new cultures, and/or starting new careers; something we know quite well. About 10 years ago we moved our little family to the island of Rarotonga, Cook Island for about a year. It is a tiny island in the South Pacific. I home schooled my daughter on days that we sent our son to a public preschool. Our PE classes took place in our backyard on the bogey boards and math consisted of waiting tables at the local cafe. Life was good, easy, and Slow. Now that our kids are almost grown we have started planning our next adventure. Where to go and for how long? Watching House Hunters has given us insight on cost and culture and now we think maybe we'll rent  a place for a few months than move again to another -of course this can't take place until Phoenix is in college, but as I wait I can gather all the places I'd like to go. This week it is all about Belgrade, Serbia.
Belgrade is one of the oldest cities in Europe and has since ancient times been an important focal point for traffic, an intersection of the roads of Eastern and Western Europe. I would rent a furnished apartment near the Republic square that overlooked the pedestrian street. Lined with shops and restaurants I would have a never ending view that changed daily with the crowds. Each morning I would walk down the 5 floors to get to my espresso at Speak Easy before heading out to one of the many shopping areas or maybe I would just spend the day discovering the city? Possibly a walk through the Old Bohemian Quarters?....


Where would you travel?

17 comments:

  1. i LOVE that show! the hubbs and i lived in Germany for 3 years, which was a great adventure (though nothing as awesomely unique as Cook Island!).

    i want very badly to travel back to the UK and finally see Ireland and Scotland. i kick myself for not making it there when we were in Europe. and i'd love to go back to Budapest. i had such a wonderful visit there.

    stay dry today! i'm very much looking forward to this fabled dry spell they say is coming up this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you live in Rarotonga for a year! That must have been an incredible experience. I island hopped in Fiji for two weeks when I was studying abroad in New Zealand, and it was pure paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting that you lived there! I'm addicted to House Hunter's International too but I've never lived anywhere but NY. Seems so adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli - I heard Germany is amazing. Definitely on the list of places. dry spell? -I wouldn't hold your breath!

    Marissa and Dawn-I lived just a few miles from Muri beach. My kids definitely want to go back and see what has changed. We still have friends on the Island that we occasionally get updates from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! There are so many places I want to travel. I have never lived anywhere but the US, but I have wanderlust and definitely want to see the world.

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Sibu! Sea buckthorn is fabulous! Can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella, you forgot to mention Georgia, USA! You're moving next to me...remember? We can share clothes, bags, shoes...haha.
    If you could only see our bucket list...places we want to visit before we kick it...it's so long, we'll never die!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie you know I would LOVE to live next to you - you on the other hand would probably get tired of me stopping by to borrow something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm not sure where we would go but living in another country is very likely in our future, tho not too near future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I LOVE the cobblestone streets - they are so quaint and charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That show is totally awesome and one of my good friends is from Belgrade. I would love to live in Venice for a year or so. I think the place is so incredibly charming and different. Have a wonderful day, darling. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool that you were in Cook Island and I definitely want to get to Serbia and a few other parts of Eastern Europe!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I want to move to any one place in particular, but I do have a dream of making a circumnavigation of the globe and taking my time about it. I'd love to learn more about your time on Cook Island and your reasons for going there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like your kids had an idyllic setting for their childhood. I will have to check out that show, sounds interesting. I often dream of living in a Paris flat, a Tuscan villa, a cottage in Nantucket or an apartment in NYC or San Fran. I think I could be happy in a lot of different places! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love watching that show! It would be so fun to live in another country for a while, there are so many places I would love to visit!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful city!

    Found you in the blog hop new GFC follower, hope you will follow back!

    http://giveawayhog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.