Phoebe had it right...Running can and should be fun. Running is the number one fat burner and mood enhancer but it is not easy to dive into. You must have a plan to ease into it so it becomes something you love to do. Here is how I have slowly got back to running.
- Find the best shoe for your foot. No arch ? Choose a stability shoe like Under Armor Revenant. Normal Arch? Choose a shoe that offers moderate cushion and stability. High Arch? Choose a cushioned shoe that help diffuse the shock in the lower leg.
- Form- Quick short steps are better than longer strides which can hurt your lower back.
- Let your foot roll smoothly forward and push off with your toes.
- Keep arm relaxed and bend them about 90 degrees letting them swing front to back.
- Lean forward about 5 degrees to maintain momentum without sacrificing your posture.
Do this routine at least 3 days a week. Remember to warm up and cool down with at least a 5 min. walk.
Week 1- Walk 6 min. Jog 1 min. Repeat 3x, workout 3x week
Week 2 - Walk 5 min, Jog 2 min. Repeat 3x. w/o 3x week
Week 3 - Walk 4 min. Jog 3 min. Repeat 3x, w/o 3x week
Week 4- Walk 2 min. Jog 5 min. Repeat 3x. w/o 3x week
Week 5 -Walk 2 min. Jog 8 min. Repeat 3x, w/o 3x week
Week 6- Walk 2 min. Jog 9 min. Repeat 3x, w/o 3x week
Week 7 - Walk 1 min. Jog 11 min. Repeat 3x, w/o 3x week
Week 8 - Walk 5 min. Jog 20 min. Work up to 30 min. W/o 3x week
Now get out there and run like Phoebe.