Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, January 16, 2012

12K Week 3 "Eye of the tiger"


Week 3 had some up's and definitely some down's. My weeks training started out on Tuesday with a 4 minute walk combined with a 3 minute run repeated 3 times. That wasn't so bad....I thought, so by the second training day I had the eye of the tiger (like Rocky) and I decided that I could run a whole 1/2 mile without stopping. I put on my shoes and headband (very important) and left my door determined to do the full 1/2 mile. Why I didn't stretch or warm up is beyond me? I was just so determined and focused nothing could have stopped me. It was about 4:30 pm and dusk was approaching quickly and with the temp. outside a cool 34 degrees I knew I needed to get on my way. As I left my house I could hear the music cuing and Rocky was there pushing me along......Just after 2 minutes I was dead tired and breathing in the freezing air that my throat literally felt like it was on fire. But I kept going. By the 3rd minute my shins started to plea with me to stop but I kept going. By the 4th minute (longest I have gone so far) my knees hated me but I kept going. To my surprise I made it the whole 1/2 mile in 5 minutes. Way faster than I thought I could go. I felt for the first time that just maybe I could actually do this thing and then..........
I woke up the next morning to find my knees and thighs so sore that it was difficult to walk up the stairs and because of the additional "push" I gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted. The treats didn't stop the next day- Once I start I have a very hard time stopping, and I ended up filling my belly with snacks ALL weekend long. I did, however, get one more training session in to complete the 3 required. PHEW!
This week I plan on getting back on track by eating healthy and doing at least 4 workouts of Walk2, jog 5.

Wish me luck! 

4 comments:

  1. sounds like overall you achieved a lot!! good job :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the moral of this story is to go more slowly...or perhaps to do those stretches. I'm impressed, and perhaps you'll inspire me to get off my duff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...stretching probably would of been a very good idea. I did surprise myself with the 1/2 mile though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally kinda sorta getting back into running too! Go you!!! Good luck with those training runs! I think having a training goal is such a good idea and something I'm still lacking.

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.