Printer friendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, January 06, 2012

12K (Week 1 is over!)

Week one is done and I feel so far from my goal. For 2012 I had wanted to start the Dukan Diet and continue to learn yoga but with my sisters nagging encouragement I had registered myself for a 12K run knowing that I am not a runner! or a jogger for that matter. Still I found myself motivated to, at the very minimum, beat my sister and of course not cross the finish line 2 days after the race begins. I started to research running a 12K for beginners but every site I looked up started with, "this workout was designed for the person who can already run a half an hour." That was not me....I was lucky to be able to run 1 minute at a time. I am happy to announce that I can now officially run .....wait for it......2 minutes without stopping. Okay, maybe to you it is not much of an achievement but running is HARD! I was able to complete my first weeks training even adding one additional session. I continued to eat most everything I wanted but tried to refrain from potato chips and other empty calories (Ice cream was my couch companion and that is not going to change) Over all I feel pretty good. 12K still seems so far from now but like the sign says, I am still lapping everybody on the couch.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you can run for way longer than I can...two minutes would feel like and eternity to me. Best wishes to you as you train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic endeavor for the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alida you are too kind.

    Erika thanks for your support

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice. x


    p.s. I'm having a giveaway from fox house if you'd like to check it out. :)
    devorelebeaumonstre.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would start with little baby steps. Start with 5 minutes and ad a couple of minutes each day. If you can do the yoga as well for 1 hour a week. It's important to do both cardio, strength and flexibility exercizes as we age... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there. Thanks for the recent follow! This will be a long comment.
    When I first met my husband he was a runner and I was NOT. I went out to the track with him one day and thought I would give it a try. What a JOKE!! I was a skinny unfit person. I couldn't make half a lap. Pathetic. So I decided I needed to remedy that. Here is how I began, maybe you will find it useful.
    I got a stopwatch and began a 1 mile course. I would run for 1 minute and then walk for 3 minutes. Repeat. Once the 1 minute sessions got easy, add a mile. Repeat until I was at 3 miles, running 1 minute, walking 3 minutes. Then once it became easy, run 2 minutes and walk 2 minutes, and so on until I could 3 the full 3 miles. BTW, I never said I was fast. :) Slow is ok.
    Once I was running a full 3 miles easily (meaning I didn't want to die or kill anyone else) I added a mile. The farthest I have ever run is 7 miles.
    If you don't want to measure distances at first, you can decide to go out for 20 or 30 minutes using the 1r/3w method too.
    This is a good way to get used to running and build up some stamina without killing yourself and your motivation in the process.
    Hope you don't mind "the book" sized comment. I have been in your place and this method helped me run the Race for the Cure after not being a runner. I did that 5K in 32 minutes!
    You can do this!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading all your thoughts! Thank you for taking the time to comment.